Dedicating Myself to Health

For the past two weeks I have been dedicating myself to being active and tracking every little morsel of food I put into my face.

I have a group of girls at work who are doing this with me and are an incredible support, so if I fall off of the wagon they will be there to hoist my ass back up.

This has been a long time coming.

I’ve battled my weight my entire life, have tried every diet, joined every group, tried the pills, the shakes, the meal plans, and bought the books.

I know how to lose weight.

But when you love food and your brain sees food and tells you one more bite won’t hurt you; do it because it makes you happy; fill that void with chocolate; eat to stop feeling, you do it.

It’s a vicious circle that seems to never end, until one day you finally look in the mirror and go, “wow, hey fat ass, you can’t fit into any of your clothes any more and have horrible self esteem, lets change this.”

So, I’m changing it.

I’m tracking the last Smartie I ate and every meal I consume. I’m getting active and I’m making myself accountable.

Let me tell you, friends, it isn’t easy.

But I am reminding myself over and over that this is for my health, not for a bikini body, cause LAwWWdY knows that ain’t happening, and I didn’t get to this point in a day.

It took time, and dedication to food.

Now, reverse it.

Dedicate myself to healthy living and hope for it to effect my mental health in a positive way, too.

Wish me luck.

17 Responses to Dedicating Myself to Health
  1. Jordan
    July 15, 2013 | 8:53 am

You go girl!!!! You can do it! Stay strong:) I’m trying to get myself back to the way I was before the babes so I will be here for you and vice versa:) we can go for waters together and salads! No more junk. Thanks for this post. Came at just the right time!!! I’m printing a pic off of me now and me at what I want to be:) inspiration!

July 16, 2013 | 9:19 am

You are my part of my group of girls who inspires me! Keep up the great work and keep going!

2. Eli
    July 15, 2013 | 10:32 am

Sexy is a state of mind, not body. Go ahead, have that extra bite, but choose the bite wisely. Use lime instead of salt, fresh fruits, unpasturised honey and maple syrup for sweet. Something I have found extremely valuable in helping to fight my depression and sweet tooth is eating a banana a day! I usually have it in a smoothie at the ungodly hour of 3:30 am when I’m getting ready for work.

You’ve got this Leighann, own it!!

July 16, 2013 | 9:18 am

You are exactly right, Eli! I need to remember that SEXY is a STATE OF MIND! Thank you for that.

3. Nic
    July 15, 2013 | 11:52 am

I love you! And know you can do it little by little. It’s not going to be easy but the feeling you get once you start will make it all worth it! You are the strongest person I know and once you set your mind to something….look out! Xoxoxo

July 16, 2013 | 9:18 am

I love you and your comments, you make me weepy.

4. Coffee Lovin Mom
    July 15, 2013 | 4:54 pm

Yes! Good for you lady – any baby step is one in the right direction. I will be starting soon as well with an exercise program which my sister is the trainer. I may feel the need to throat punch her but I know she’s in my corner. I will be here to cheer you on!

July 16, 2013 | 9:18 am

Good for you for working on this… with your sister no less. I don’t think I could do this with my family because it would end in a throat punch FOR SURE!!

5. Alison
    July 16, 2013 | 1:20 am

Good luck, Leighann! You can do it.

July 16, 2013 | 9:17 am

Thanks Alison, it’s a challenge but I know I can do it.

6. Mama and the City
    July 16, 2013 | 2:22 am

Good luck.

It’s isn’t easy. I know that.

When I was 20, more active and able to do more things at any given time, I tried to reduce my current meal size in half. I kept eating the same I was, but in half.

Half a burger – and save the rest.
    Half chicken cordon blue – and take the rest.

I lost so much (half?) the weight in a very fast time.

The problem now is a) I am not as active as before, and b) if I leave half my food, toddler does too. Grrrrrrr.

July 16, 2013 | 9:17 am

That has been one of my biggest issues; portion control! Yes! Thank you for the reminer… eat less!!

7. Josanne
    July 16, 2013 | 3:12 pm

Go you!! I wish I had your determination. I’m the old you and struggling to dislike my lumpy exterior enough to do anything serious about it!
    I’m impressed. Good luck x

8. Melissa
    July 16, 2013 | 9:59 pm

You are so much stronger than you think. It’s all about getting in a positive mind set. Start by being kind to yourself. When you focus on doing that, you will nourish your body through good healthful food choices and your soul through positive self-talk. You are an inspiration to many and most importantly a role model for that delicious little girl of yours. Keep at it girl and keep tracking even when you REALLY don’t want too!

July 17, 2013 | 10:47 am

Sending you lots of good vibes and hugs. I know you can do this! I’m doing this right along with you over here. It’s not easy, but girl, we can rock this!

July 21, 2013 | 11:36 pm

We’re here for you! I’m glad to see you talk about getting healthy and not focusing on numbers. Keep us updated on your active progress!

And I hate tracking food. Hate. It.

11. One Last Bite | Multitasking Mumma
    March 13, 2014 | 8:44 am

[…] when I was getting healthy and was focused on what I was putting into my body? When I was planning meals, making a healthy […]