Why I’m Still Here

There’s a reason I keep writing. There’s a reason I come back to this space week after week with my words.

I’m here to advocate for people who have been through the same thing I have.

And sometimes that means standing up for those with a mental illness and the message either not being received well or being misunderstood.

The stigma we face everyday is very much real and something that we work through at work, with friends, while we’re with our families, and online.

We, as bloggers, have the choice to use our voices to benefit and uplift or to bully and shut down. We can continue to feed the stigma that mental illness is something we should be ashamed of and reassure our friends and families that we are not suffering from it should we look tired or worn out, or we can advocate for those who are suffering, even though you might never understand their position.

We can encourage an open dialogue in our posts, one that has each person commenting with their true feelings and being welcomed to do so, not shamed when they share their opinion and it’s against the popular opinion.

Mental Illnesses, Addiction Interventions, Infertility, etc. are scary to so many people so opening up a dialogue can be a healthy thing. There are questions to be answered and stories to tell.

You can’t catch it by asking questions.

can't catch it by asking questions

I prefer to share my story than have someone assume they understand how I feel or what my journey has been like. I want to help others understand the path I took to get where I am today because I’m not ashamed.

I have a mental illness and the support I receive is incredible but not everyone receives that support. It’s about awareness and empathy.

It’s about love.

That’s why I’m here.

Pin It

12 Responses to Why I’m Still Here
  1. Nic
    October 7, 2013 | 6:59 pm

I love what you do!!! LOVE that you share your experiences! Love you!!! Xoxo

October 7, 2013 | 7:53 pm

thank you, Nic! Love you too.

2. Rebecca
    October 8, 2013 | 9:40 am

I love knowing that there is someone out there who has gone through what i’m going through and made it to the other side. Thank you for continuing to put your words out there.

October 15, 2013 | 8:05 am

I feel the same way. When I was struggling it was always comforting to know that there was people out there who understood what I was going through.

3. Jackie
    October 8, 2013 | 2:45 pm

Everyone needs support… I think that it’s great that you’re here, open about it, and are ready to help those who need it.

October 15, 2013 | 8:04 am

Thanks Jackie. You’re such a huge support!

4. Farrah
    October 9, 2013 | 1:35 am

I think sharing what you’ve been through is very, very important to others- it helps them feel less alone. And who knows? At one point you might push them over to getting some help.

October 15, 2013 | 8:04 am

Thank you! That means more than you could know.

5. sarah reinhart
    October 9, 2013 | 8:10 am

I’m glad you’re still here 🙂 xo.

October 15, 2013 | 8:04 am

And I’m glad you are here! Your words are an inspiration.

October 13, 2013 | 11:32 am

You are a gift to so many silent voices out there.
    Keep doing what you do and from your heart. Don’t be letting the haters hate. I will kick them in the taco.
    ..except my feet can’t cross the continent xoxo

October 15, 2013 | 8:03 am

I have my taco kicking boots on.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2013/10/07/why-im-still-here/trackback/

Why I’m Still Here

I’m here to advocate for people who have been through the same thing I have.

You can’t catch it by asking questions.

can't catch it by asking questions

It’s about love.

That’s why I’m here.

Pin It

12 Responses to Why I’m Still Here
  1. Nic
    October 7, 2013 | 6:59 pm

I love what you do!!! LOVE that you share your experiences! Love you!!! Xoxo

October 7, 2013 | 7:53 pm

thank you, Nic! Love you too.

2. Rebecca
    October 8, 2013 | 9:40 am

October 15, 2013 | 8:05 am

3. Jackie
    October 8, 2013 | 2:45 pm

October 15, 2013 | 8:04 am

Thanks Jackie. You’re such a huge support!

4. Farrah
    October 9, 2013 | 1:35 am

October 15, 2013 | 8:04 am

Thank you! That means more than you could know.

5. sarah reinhart
    October 9, 2013 | 8:10 am

I’m glad you’re still here 🙂 xo.

October 15, 2013 | 8:04 am

And I’m glad you are here! Your words are an inspiration.

October 13, 2013 | 11:32 am

You are a gift to so many silent voices out there.
    ..except my feet can’t cross the continent xoxo

October 15, 2013 | 8:03 am

I have my taco kicking boots on.