The Tough Get Going

He put down the phone and looked at me with sad eyes. No, concerned. They weren’t happy eyes and they told me that I was about to hear something I didn’t want to.

He was laid off. His boss didn’t need him anymore this season and he would receive his final pay this week.

Silence.

We stared at each other. At the cats. At the floor.

But we weren’t surprised.

We expected this and knew it would be coming, but not this soon, and certainly not over a text message.

This was a game changer.

He was in a positive frame of mind and he jumped up to reminded me that we had Christmas coming, birthday parties to attend, and bills to pay and there was no time to sit and be mournful.

He told me “the tough get going.”

I was angry.

I didn’t want to get going.

I wanted to jump through the phone and yell. I wanted to hold up my bills and ask how they would get paid. I wanted to cry.

I wanted to stomp my feet because it wasn’t fair.

But the tough get going.

We knew it was coming. He was prepared. I was not.

He is okay and searching for new work, preparing for an adjustment, working on plans.  I am frustrated. But that will not stop me from assisting him, preparing his resume, searching for jobs, and planning right along-side him.

I am being guided by this incredible man who can pick the positive out of the most negative of situations.

Together we are tough.

And we will get going.

6 Responses to The Tough Get Going
  1. Jenn@Fox in the City
    November 5, 2013 | 8:50 am

Big hugs hun. You guys can do this!

November 6, 2013 | 9:12 am

Thank you! I know you get this and I appreciate you so much!

2. Kir
    November 5, 2013 | 3:57 pm

I will not leave flowery stuff here. It sucks , it’s scary, F*&((( for you.

but I’m here in spirit and otherwise if you need anything or just want to scream, vent, whatever.

love you..you’ll do this. I know it.

November 6, 2013 | 9:12 am

you’re so right, it sucks! But we are staying positive and working through it. Thank you so much for your support!

3. Farrah
    November 6, 2013 | 4:48 am

OH.

And a text message?!?!??!?

You’re going to be ok. Something is better on the horizon and yes, trusting in your husband is the right thing to do. If I can offer any help at all let me know. My dh’s co has locations in the US and he is privy to employment boards for it.

November 6, 2013 | 9:11 am

Thank you so much for reaching out Farrah! We are in Canada and looking everywhere for work for him right now. There have been some bites so we’re positive. xo