She JUST Can’t Sleep

Last night I was peed on.

We thought it was a good time to stop the pull ups and jump with both feet into a dry night!

It wasn’t time.

And tonight? We’re rockin’ the pull up, we’ve used up all of our energy, stories have been read, and we picked out our own pj’s.

But she can’t sleep.

It’s an hour past bedtime and she Just. Can’t. Sleep.

I want to believe it’s because of growing pains or because she needs me to lay with her but I know it’s the pound of burger she inhaled at McDonald’s, which she chased with a chocolate milk, followed by an ice cream cone, and then mixed nicely together during a round of who can scream the loudest in the play place.

There might be barfing later.

If I had to choose I’d rather be peed on.

And while the calls from the bedroom continue I will sit quietly reinforcing that it’s bedtime, counting down the minutes until I can find my way to my chair and sway myself into a wine coma.

I kid.

It’s nice to just lay here across the hall daydreaming about what a pull up free, whine free, Ihavetogopeeandneedanotherdrink free night will be like.

One day.

It’s one of those nights where I can hear the TV coming from downstairs and want to pound my fist on the floor to get him to turn it down because any sound she can hear will make her want to come out of her room.

When will bedtime get easier?

I swear there was one week where I had it down.

One week where every thing went smoothly.

I rocked that week.

I was super mom and I bragged my ass off.

That’s probably what did it.

So I’m going to sit here across the hall from the screaming child and make promises to never brag again. I will bargain, I will plead, I will pull my hair out, and I will make deals with the Almighty just to get the screams to stop and sleep to come.

Because I’m tired too.

And this is EVERY NIGHT.

I might cry.

I can’t show weakness.

No. I will sit here strong.

Because for now it’s barf bag in hand, on my mark, get ready, big sigh, goodbye free time kinda night.

6 Responses to She JUST Can’t Sleep
  1. trish
    November 27, 2013 | 1:33 pm

Uggg I feel for u hunny. I have it easy. I am not bragging because who knows what life is about to spring in us. But I feel ur pain. And wish ur baby girl sleep so that u can have wine. We all need wine time.

November 27, 2013 | 2:11 pm

Walk away.
    Do it.
    If she pukes, go in and clean it and then walk away.
    They have to know that crying won’t get them what they want. We had this issues when Chunky switched to the convertible bed. Whew. I think it helped to put a nightlight in there. He had all of his stuffies with him. And we made sure to read to him in his bed so that he was able to wind down. Keeping routine also helped.
    I feel for ya.

3. Carrie Baughcum
    November 29, 2013 | 8:45 am

Ohhhh it’s just so hard. I can’t say it’s always easy and I’ll tell ya any mom who says they’ve got it down perfect is lying or not putting kids to bed. Because they are kids and they are always changing and growing and testing and learning. I don’t have any perfect fix it advice and right now I am in my own bedtime revolt. I do know this. Routine is key. Decide what your standards are, what you want bedtime to look like and then stick to it. I use a lot of scripts and routine phrases with my daughters during bedtime. Reminding them of the routine and the rules of bed time. It also gives me something to go back to when they decide they don’t want to sleep. Hang in there momma. It will get better. Change is hard on everyone and grasping up is tough yo!!! XOXOXXOX

December 2, 2013 | 10:11 am

routine is KEY isn’t it! She’s been getting a bit better the last couple of days but I’m not holding my breath because things are always changing.

November 29, 2013 | 11:30 pm

Few things piss me off more than when they won’t go to sleep. Just go to sleep! And if it makes you feel better, Zoe still sleeps in overnight diapers. I haven’t even tried.

I agree with the above. Walk away. Show as little emotion as possible. Stay consistent. Stay strong. Giving her the ability to go to sleep on her own is one of the best gifts you can give her.

December 2, 2013 | 10:10 am

she’s starting to get a little bit better but I will definitely take your advice and run with it! I will RuN!