The Wheels on the Bus

The phone rang only once before someone on the other end picked up.

“Main Office”

GAH! Main Office?

I hadn’t called a Main Office since high school. Panic overwhelmed me and I realized why I was calling, the weight of it heavy in my throat, I forgot my name, felt tears sting my eyes, and couldn’t find my words.

So I hung up.

Staring down at the phone I paused and took a deep breath. I hadn’t even spoken to someone and I was visibly shaken, anxious, and seriously in need of a zanax.

photo-701

But I should be!

My daughter is starting kindergarden in September and I have to register her.

My baby.

25542_432102930557_4930576_n

Part of me.

My heart.

Looking at the phone I willed myself to pick it up and dial the number back, knowing that the school has call display and would be able to see that I was the crazy mo fo who just hung up on them.

“Main Office.”

Again I lost my name.

But I was able to get out the reason for my call and that I actually had a daughter.

I might have disclosed too much information but the woman on the other end was kind, took the time to de-escalte the situation, and assured me I wasn’t the only parent who required a paper bag and med’s in order to send their child off to school for the first time.

She also told me I had until March to register her.

Exhale.

I had time.

But what was that I was feeling? It wasn’t nausea, and it wasn’t the anxiety I was used to feeling in the pit of my stomach.

It was excitement.

I knew my daughter was ready and she would be thrilled to learn she was just a tiny bit closer to going to school, riding on a bus, and meeting new friends.

She’s so ready.

photo-70

And if I think about it…. so am I.

GFunkified

16 Responses to The Wheels on the Bus
  1. Katie E
    January 15, 2014 | 2:52 pm

You’ll both be ready! It is so hard the first time. We’ve been fortunate that we all love our school. But I still cry on the first day when I drop them off usually. I think this was the first year I didn’t (second year of middle school for my oldest, 4th grade for my middle girl), but I know I’ll still cry at each school change. And when my baby boy goes to school, I will be a mess! It’s just a big deal 🙂

January 17, 2014 | 11:42 am

Oh I agree! I will be a huge mess! I’ll follow the bus and be the crazy mom waving until she goes inside.

2. Greta
    January 15, 2014 | 5:58 pm

It is so hard, and so monumental, and you have every right to be anxious! Even if it takes you until a few days after she starts school, you’ll both end up enjoying it. I’m sure of it!

January 17, 2014 | 11:41 am

Thank you, Greta! I know it will be great for her and I will adjust, I just can’t believe my baby is going to school!

3. Jasbir @jasbeeray
    January 15, 2014 | 6:19 pm

It’s funny and touching altogether. I think I would have done the same (shared too much information) although at this point of time I.welcome the opportunity of having her out of the house for a couple of hours.

January 17, 2014 | 11:41 am

Thank you! I think she will have a great time at school, I just need to adjust and jump right in.

4. Robin @ Farewell, Stranger
    January 16, 2014 | 11:04 pm

Aw, so exciting! (But is she really old enough to start Kindergarten this year?!)

C started in the fall and I was pretty psyched to register him. A little eep! as well, but I knew he was ready (and I was so ready for him to be in school). He’s done really well and I think it’s been such a good thing. (Is Kindergarten full day in ON?)

January 17, 2014 | 11:39 am

She’ll be 4 in April… I know! I’m excited but nervous and scared all at the same time. She’s ready and can’t wait. This year will be the first that they introduce all day every day at her school.. Yikes

January 17, 2014 | 7:41 am

I got a twinge…one of the most embarrassing days of my life…crying in the front office while signing the registration form. No one tells you how emotional it is to hand over your child and let someone else mold their beautiful minds.

January 17, 2014 | 11:38 am

I think I’m going to be one of the mom’s crying while I sign the papers. I’ll be stroking her hair and singing her songs while I send her off on the bus.

6. sarah reinhart
    January 17, 2014 | 9:23 am

I know I shouldn’t be laughing, but I am laughing that you hung up! It’s an emotional milestone for sure. Breathe mama.

January 17, 2014 | 11:37 am

LOL, it’s funny looking back at it now. I am nervous for her but very excited. I see how excited she is and can’t wait to hear all of her stories.

7. Farrah
    January 18, 2014 | 10:03 am

Aw, I think it’s all so sweet. And the hanging up thing? I’m totally guilty of that. Well, usually it’s because I call the wrong place but you know. That’s to be expected 🙂
    School is such a huge step. I’m excited for you guys- and so so so jealous of the bus!

January 19, 2014 | 9:44 am

the bus is a source of anxiety for me, I hope she has a bus buddy to get her on and off safely. Glad you’ve hung up on people too and I’m not alone in that. lol

8. Jenny
    January 18, 2014 | 11:19 pm

I still remember how anxious I felt when I watched my son go off in the school bus the very first time. It does get better but you always miss them and feel concern.

January 19, 2014 | 9:43 am

thank you! It feels so much better to hear from parents who’ve been there.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2014/01/15/wheels-on-bus/trackback/

The Wheels on the Bus

The phone rang only once before someone on the other end picked up.

“Main Office”

GAH! Main Office?

So I hung up.

photo-701

But I should be!

My daughter is starting kindergarden in September and I have to register her.

My baby.

25542_432102930557_4930576_n

Part of me.

My heart.

“Main Office.”

Again I lost my name.

She also told me I had until March to register her.

Exhale.

I had time.

It was excitement.

She’s so ready.

photo-70

And if I think about it…. so am I.

GFunkified

7. Farrah
    January 18, 2014 | 10:03 am

January 19, 2014 | 9:44 am

8. Jenny
    January 18, 2014 | 11:19 pm

January 19, 2014 | 9:43 am

thank you! It feels so much better to hear from parents who’ve been there.