An Open Letter to Food

Dearest Food,

I remember a time when you and I would sit together on the couch and take our time going over your scent, your textures, your size (ahem).  We would laugh together, and cry, depending on the show, and you would settle nicely into my palm ready to fill my mouth with the sweetest of tastes.

I remember picking you out at the store and knowing that when I got home there would be time spent together, whether it be because of an emotional break down, a bad day at work, boredom, or just a good show on TV, I could count on you.

And then I had a child.

There was no warning.

You were RIPPED from my hands and I no longer had a moment to enjoy the morsels of heaven I so delicately picked out while shopping (a traumatic experience with a child on its own).

I had to find hiding spots for my favourite treats, making our relationship one filled with secrets and lies, finding time for you in corners, behind fridge doors, and late at night.

I appreciate you more now than ever as my bites are numbered, delicious tastes taken away by a hungry animal who comes in quick for pieces and stays until ever last crumb has been devoured.

Cries of “Mommy, can I have some?” and “Can I finish the rest of that?” surround me as I try to mend the relationship we once shared.

She’s only three but she’s quick.

And apparently she likes you as much as I do.

There will be a day when we’re reunited and can sit down together without chubby hands squashing you and mashing you into a a million pieces. She’ll go to college some day.

Until that day, meet me under the bed.

cookie

With love,

Leighann

GFunkified

7 Responses to An Open Letter to Food
  1. Deborah
    January 22, 2014 | 10:48 am

LOL! This makes me laugh. I could write this same letter to any hot food that has ever existed. My girls are 6 & 8 and I still don’t get to eat my food hot.Oh, when they go to college all my food will be eaten warm…as it is intended to be:)

January 23, 2014 | 10:20 am

I can’t wait to eat a hot meal all to myself! I dream of the day!

2. Greta
    January 23, 2014 | 2:15 pm

FOR REAL. And the worst is when you’re tracking your food and you have the EXACT right portion sizes and they come up and ask for some. I’ve been known to get ice cream that no one else likes. Ahem.

3. Lyla Jackson
    January 24, 2014 | 9:42 am

Last week I was looking for a pair of socks in the back of my drawer and I found a coffee crisp bar and a pack of smarties 🙂

I’m tempted to make your cookie eating photo my desktop background. It made me smile so big! You are beautiful.

4. Robin @ Farewell, Stranger
    January 26, 2014 | 10:13 pm

Oh, I so know this. Every once in a while I have a really good dinner that I get to enjoy without someone sticking their fingers in it or yelling or throwing food that sticks to the wall. And I know one day it will be a more regular occasion again.

January 27, 2014 | 12:14 pm

I’m waiting for that day and dreaming of it.

5. BC – Before Children | Multitasking Mumma
    January 29, 2014 | 7:39 am

[…] That was only one of the many things I swore I would never do before I had a child and my life became hectic, ruled by the amount of sleep I got in one night, and by the amount of food I could shove in my face before someone else found out I was eating. […]