BC – Before Children

Before having a child I remember looking to my best friend, as she co-slept, and saying to her, “I will NEVER do that, I will never allow my child to sleep in my bed with me, it hinders their growth, it takes away from their independence, it means I will lose sleep!”

I remember thanking her after I had a child for not slapping me straight across the face, too!

That was only one of the many things I swore I would never do before I had a child and my life became hectic, ruled by the amount of sleep I got in one night, and by the amount of food I could shove in my face before someone else found out I was eating.

baby feet

1. Feed my daughter McDonald’s – This one went out the window the first time we were in a hurry and those tasty fries were calling our name. She devoured them in under a minute and I remember thanking the sweet baby Jesus for the break that was the playroom. Even after she broke out with the muther of all colds after being exposed to the germs that cover the toys in there like a sheet.

2. Mismatch clothing – Some days there is no time to put your child in matching outfit, and some days you just don’t care. But if you are like me and you parent my child then you know that just getting underwear on is a success so the clothing matching is the last of my worries.

3. Ignore negative behaviour – I remember saying that I would never encourage negative behaviour and I would ignore, ignore, ignore. Well, let me tell you, some negative behaviour needs to be acknowledge so it can be corrected and sometimes it’s just annoying.

4. Never allow toys in my living room because that was MY space – My living room now looks like a toy box exploded up in here. There is a fairy princess castle and all of the “girls” surround it waiting to be played with. I have a stuffed hippo on my couch and socks on my coffee table.

5. No co-sleeping! – My daughter is almost 4 and I still go into her room almost twice a week to sleep in her bed because she calls me in. We co-slept until she was almost two and it was the best thing for our family, for sleep, and for my sanity.

What are some things you said you would never do before you had children?

Pin It

10 Responses to BC – Before Children
  1. Lyla Jackson
    January 29, 2014 | 10:16 am

ooo… this list is just too long.
    I also swore I would never co-sleep. (says the woman who’s blog is called ‘cosleepwalking’.)
    I swore I would never follow my kids around with a fork of food to make sure they eat. (i totally do that)
    I also didn’t think that I would see my in-laws more than once a week. (they pick up my kids and give them dinner every day.)
    Most significantly, I didn’t think that I would be taking quite so many pills to keep from losing my mind… but hey, that’s life i guess. xoxo

January 29, 2014 | 10:23 am

Oh, Lyla! I love your list! I’m also on a crazy amount of pills to keep my sanity. I think it comes with the territory sometimes.

2. Dana
    January 29, 2014 | 10:28 am

I can totally relate to your first four! I swore I’d never let my kids go out looking like a mess. But I did. Hair sticking up and everything. When they were little, I just considered it an accomplishment to get to the grocery store with them; who cared what they looked like!

January 29, 2014 | 2:44 pm

I think the same way, now that I’ve had a child, I’m just happy she’s dressed in the morning, I don’t care what in.

3. Nic
    January 29, 2014 | 12:06 pm

I TOLD YOU SO!!! LOL
    I’ve always said that no matter your education, experience or knowledge it will never prepare you for having children- sure some of it helps but I’ve always felt that you do what is right for you and your family. If that means co sleeping so be it! Maybe this is why I always felt rested or never worried about my babies. I remember panicking as a first time mom listening to my child breath! It was a lot easier when my baby was beside me. It was hard to ignore everyone around me say you shouldn’t do that or you don’t do this or never give your baby a soother! You just do what is right for your family. I was that mom too that said never to fast food, or never in my bed! Gawd I felt stupid when I had to take it all back! I so told you so! Love this post!!! Xoxo

January 29, 2014 | 2:43 pm

I should listen to you more often I guess. But like you said, you never know until you are a parent. Nothing can prepare you.

4. Christa
    January 29, 2014 | 12:29 pm

This even happens the second time around! I swore my son would be out of our room before my daughter was and (ack) he’s 15 mo. old and still in there!

January 29, 2014 | 2:43 pm

If we have another one I know I will co-sleep, but, like you said, I have already said I wouldn’t have that child in my bed for as long as I did my daughter and I probably will LOL

5. Farrah
    January 31, 2014 | 4:23 am

Oh this is so funny. My list of ‘never will I..’ is a mile long. And I broke them all. One story that sticks with me- before I had kids my husband and I moved to SC. My sister and two nieces and my mother came to visit for a week. My youngest niece was an infant, and the oldest a toddler. I came home from work one day and bottles were all over the counter, blankets were put on the bedroom window to make it more dark, my entire house was in disarray and I was upset. Even more so- was the NOISE. They were all so LOUD!

I CLEARLY remember ranting to my mother and my sister while running around cleaning up- ‘We are a QUIET people! I can’t take all this noise!’

So you know me well enough my now. How do you think that’s all worked out for me? L-O-freaking-L, right?!?!

February 2, 2014 | 9:20 am

I find it loud with only one child so I can only imagine what it must be like with three. Hold me.