Before having a child I remember looking to my best friend, as she co-slept, and saying to her, “I will NEVER do that, I will never allow my child to sleep in my bed with me, it hinders their growth, it takes away from their independence, it means I will lose sleep!”
I remember thanking her after I had a child for not slapping me straight across the face, too!
That was only one of the many things I swore I would never do before I had a child and my life became hectic, ruled by the amount of sleep I got in one night, and by the amount of food I could shove in my face before someone else found out I was eating.
1. Feed my daughter McDonald’s – This one went out the window the first time we were in a hurry and those tasty fries were calling our name. She devoured them in under a minute and I remember thanking the sweet baby Jesus for the break that was the playroom. Even after she broke out with the muther of all colds after being exposed to the germs that cover the toys in there like a sheet.
2. Mismatch clothing – Some days there is no time to put your child in matching outfit, and some days you just don’t care. But if you are like me and you parent my child then you know that just getting underwear on is a success so the clothing matching is the last of my worries.
3. Ignore negative behaviour – I remember saying that I would never encourage negative behaviour and I would ignore, ignore, ignore. Well, let me tell you, some negative behaviour needs to be acknowledge so it can be corrected and sometimes it’s just annoying.
4. Never allow toys in my living room because that was MY space – My living room now looks like a toy box exploded up in here. There is a fairy princess castle and all of the “girls” surround it waiting to be played with. I have a stuffed hippo on my couch and socks on my coffee table.
5. No co-sleeping! – My daughter is almost 4 and I still go into her room almost twice a week to sleep in her bed because she calls me in. We co-slept until she was almost two and it was the best thing for our family, for sleep, and for my sanity.
What are some things you said you would never do before you had children?Pin It