One of the Good Ones

Dearest Teacher,

Remember me? Sitting front row in your class, looking to my left, then my right, waiting for my “peeps” to file in. Yup! It was my first year of college and I was determined to make it memorable.

I was 20 years old, had been shy all through highschool, flying under the radar, and wanted a change. College was going to be my coming out party.

You just happened to be in the way of my fire.

While you spoke about counselling and the importance of reflection during our interviewing process I made plans, giggled endlessly over the boy who was staring at me from across the room, and drew on my binder.

I was busy solidifying my popularity and shutting my mouth wasn’t something I could do at that juncture.

You understand?

No, of course you don’t.

Because at this point in my life, as I teach a program, I see how EXHAUSTING it is to teach people who giggle endlessly, doodle on their binders, make googly eyes at each other, and do everything they can to ignore the actual process that is going on in front of them.

It’s disrespectful.

It’s frustrating.

Especially when you have put in the time and effort to learn the material and teach it.

Especially when this is something you love to do.

So here it is.

Thank you.

For investing in me. For taking me aside and telling me that you thought I had a chance, so smarten up, girl.

Thank you for being one of the good ones.

I’m where I am today because you reached out, asked me to do a lot more listening and a lot less talking. To invest in myself and take pride in my intelligence. You reminded me that I came to school to make something of myself.

And I owe a lot of it to you.

“They may forget what you said but they will never forget how you made them feel. “

– Carol Buchner

4 Responses to One of the Good Ones
  1. Carrie Baughcum
    March 6, 2014 | 6:24 am

Awwww to be remembered like that is what every teacher dreams of. What a lucky person to have gotten to have that impact on you. I am so happy you did have a teacher that had such an impact!!

March 6, 2014 | 1:58 pm

I’m glad I had him too. He was wonderful and really took the time I needed to get the most out of my time there.

2. Nikky44
    March 6, 2014 | 10:27 am

I hope your teacher will read that. i’ve been a teacher for 19 years, and an honest thank you is the best gift i could get.

March 6, 2014 | 1:58 pm

I wish I had known how important my education was when I was actually in school. I would have said Thank You a lot more.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2014/03/05/one-of-the-good-ones/trackback/

One of the Good Ones

Dearest Teacher,

You just happened to be in the way of my fire.

You understand?

No, of course you don’t.

It’s disrespectful.

It’s frustrating.

Especially when this is something you love to do.

So here it is.

Thank you.

Thank you for being one of the good ones.

And I owe a lot of it to you.

– Carol Buchner