The Swaying of my Soul

Her legs drape over my lap where they used to tuck in perfectly, and her head slides down to the crook of my arm instead of up on my shoulder where she used to tuck it. She cries tears of exhaustion and we’ve left her room and have resorted to rocking.

The grey plush blanket covers both of us and is pulled up to her chin leaving just her face and thumb in mouth peeking out.

The habit developed after we took her soother away and we see no end in sight.

She reaches up for my hair, a comfort she’s had since infancy, and winds her fingers through my locks, pulling and tugging. It’s uncomfortable and sometimes hurts but I haven’t found the willpower to make her stop.

She changes her position moving her head up under my chin and I lean my head into her hair, breathing in her toddler smell.

One I know perfectly.

She’s an extension of me.

I feel my heart swell.

This little person holds so much of my love and has no idea.

We stay that way, tucked in close, for the better part of an hour, rocking and hushing. Calming and wishing for sleep.

But never taking for granted the moment shared between mother and daughter.

An expansion of my heart.

The swaying of my soul.

11 Responses to The Swaying of my Soul
  1. Mo
    March 19, 2014 | 2:14 pm

Beautiful! And don’t worry. My daughter stopped sucking her thumb at 7. Lol!

March 20, 2014 | 12:49 pm

LOL I sucked mine until I was 14!! yikes!

2. Heather
    March 19, 2014 | 9:31 pm

Oh goodness. Cherish those moments. My youngest used to “twirl” her hair and mine. It used to drive me a little crazy and then one day it just seemed like she stopped. I don’t know how. One day she needed to do it all the time and then the next it wasn’t important at all,

They grow up way too fast.

March 20, 2014 | 12:48 pm

I always wonder when that day will come that she stops twirling my hair.. but I know I will miss it.

3. Kate @ Mommy Monologues
    March 20, 2014 | 10:31 am

This is absolutely gorgeous! And so true! I have an almost 2 year old & she’s little & cuddly & then I look at her brother who is almost 5 & I just hug her close because before I know it she’s going to be grown up just like him! My heart can’t really handle it all! 🙂

Love this Leighann!!!

March 20, 2014 | 12:48 pm

It goes by too fast doesn’t it! I wish time would stand still sometimes.

4. Shell
    March 20, 2014 | 5:01 pm

So beautiful!

5. Carrie Baughcum
    March 21, 2014 | 5:09 am

Just beautiful!! I love the rhythm and calm of it all. It’s like an embrace of warmth. Childhood does go so fast but if we are careful and if we pause and if we take time we can embrace the moments. It is often those things that we know need to stop someday that are the moments that are so very meaningful, touching and connect us. XOXOXO

March 22, 2014 | 9:45 am

I feel that you wrote this before…I may be totally wrong and there is nothing wrong if you did because it is absolutely beautiful xox

March 24, 2014 | 8:22 am

I feel like I’ve wrote about the rocking and the loving before too… but I love it. It’s the peace and the connection that I love.

7. […] The Swaying of My Soul from Multitasking Mumma: I love the poetry of this post about holding your little one. […]

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2014/03/19/swaying-of-my-soul/trackback/

The Swaying of my Soul

The habit developed after we took her soother away and we see no end in sight.

One I know perfectly.

She’s an extension of me.

I feel my heart swell.

This little person holds so much of my love and has no idea.

But never taking for granted the moment shared between mother and daughter.

An expansion of my heart.

The swaying of my soul.

11 Responses to The Swaying of my Soul
  1. Mo
    March 19, 2014 | 2:14 pm

Beautiful! And don’t worry. My daughter stopped sucking her thumb at 7. Lol!

March 20, 2014 | 12:49 pm

LOL I sucked mine until I was 14!! yikes!

2. Heather
    March 19, 2014 | 9:31 pm

They grow up way too fast.

March 20, 2014 | 12:48 pm

3. Kate @ Mommy Monologues
    March 20, 2014 | 10:31 am

Love this Leighann!!!

March 20, 2014 | 12:48 pm

It goes by too fast doesn’t it! I wish time would stand still sometimes.

4. Shell