How do we Stop the Thumb Sucking?

This past week we took our daughter to the orthodontist, after a referral from our family dentist, for a consultation.

They were concerned about her palate and thought she might have to have an appliance put in in order to widen it.

Before braces.

But… before all of that we needed to have the consultation to see what was going on.

I was a nervous wreck. I had created a list of questions ranging from what the amount of pain would be to the cost and had researched as much as I could online.

My main concern was whether the appliance was necessary.

My concerns were put to rest the minute the orthodontist entered the room. He was kind and gentle with our daughter, discussed what was going on in her mouth, and then gave us the details.

It all came down to her sucking her thumb.

thumb

She needs to stop.

She has one year to work on the habit and then we go back.

This isn’t something that will come easy for her, or for us. It’s a genuine habit that she’s using to sooth herself when she’s sleepy, scared, nervous, or bored and we have to find a way to have her stop.

Without putting dangerous materials on her thumb.

So, friends, I need your help.

How do we get our four year old to stop sucking her thumb? This is crucial and could save us thousands of dollars.

What do you suggest?

10 Responses to How do we Stop the Thumb Sucking?
  1. Shell
    June 11, 2014 | 11:02 am

I don’t have any experience with this specifically. But is there any sort of reward she can work towards if she stops?

June 12, 2014 | 8:07 am

Currently we have told her we will take her to Marine Land if she stops sucking her thumb. We are hoping the reminders of that trip will help. Fingers crossed.

2. Nadia @ Mama and the City
    June 11, 2014 | 6:07 pm

My kid didn’t even take the shoother when she was a newborn, so never had an issue in this similarity.

Have you tried rationalize it with her? She is at a good age, no? Myabe it’s just me thinking since my kid rationalizes the use of potty vs pee or poo in the diaper.

I wonder if Sesame Street might have a video to help. They had one for potty that helped me 🙂

June 12, 2014 | 8:07 am

Excellent idea! A video!! That worked with us for potty too.. excellent!

3. Nikky44
    June 11, 2014 | 10:14 pm

It takes time but I think distraction is important. Don’t give attention to when she does, but give her any activity she needs to use her hands for

June 12, 2014 | 8:06 am

Great idea! I’d never thought about ignoring it and distracting her! Thank you!!

June 13, 2014 | 11:36 am

Shrek.
    Go the Shrek route.
    xo

June 16, 2014 | 9:40 am

haha, I told her about him, she was freaked right out.

5. Dan
    June 13, 2014 | 1:46 pm

We had the same problem with our son about 4 years ago & that’s when my wife come up with the Glovey Huggey.

Its help thousands of kids stop thumb sucking. Would be more than happy to send you out a free pair for your little one to try out as a product review.

June 16, 2014 | 9:38 am

Looking forward to speaking with you.