Why Are You Staring?

I remember sitting cross-legged on the couch and watching TV, in the zone, and feeling eyes on me.

Why did she stare at me so much?

“WHAT?”

“Nothing, I just like looking at you.”

Weird, I thought, why did my mother look at me so much, so annoying. Doesn’t she have somewhere else to be?

Anywhere else?

Always squeezing in a hug, a touch, a stare.

Didn’t she understand I wanted to be alone?

—————————————————————

Her hair fell from her face and dipped into her cereal, the tight braid at the back failing to hold the front pieces in place.

I reached over and pulled the stragglers behind her ears and watched will a full heart as she ate her breakfast.

I created her.

Would she ever understand how much I loved her?

“Why are you staring? “

“Pardon?”

“Why do you stare at me so much?”

I could hear the words eco in my ears from 20 years before and see my mother sitting across from me.

Suddenly I understood.

“Because I love you so very much.”

“It’s rude to stare, you said so”

Sigh.

“So is talking with your mouth full.”

Opening her mouth she spat all of the food out into the bowl and looked up at me.

Fair enough.

No more staring for today.

4 Responses to Why Are You Staring?
  1. Jen
    October 2, 2014 | 2:04 pm

Okay, I snorted out loud. I’ve had that same deja vu moment as well with my daughters. I stare all.the.time. 🙂

2. Sue Barlow
    October 4, 2014 | 1:27 pm

i love your posts. I was not getting them as much. Jordan helped me, so hopefully I won’t miss any. Thank you for sharing. Sue

3. Mom
    October 4, 2014 | 3:15 pm

We did say someday you would understand…Love ya.

4. Kir
    October 6, 2014 | 9:38 am

I love this, because of course we have all done it and had it done to us. That those stares are just one way of being able to hold your babies close and to wonder where all the time went.

(Like your mom just said, they’d tell us, “you’ll understand someday” and then we become moms and we do. Wow. XO)

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2014/10/02/why-staring/trackback/

Why Are You Staring?

Why did she stare at me so much?

“WHAT?”

“Nothing, I just like looking at you.”

Anywhere else?

Always squeezing in a hug, a touch, a stare.

Didn’t she understand I wanted to be alone?

—————————————————————

I created her.

Would she ever understand how much I loved her?

“Why are you staring? “

“Pardon?”

“Why do you stare at me so much?”

Suddenly I understood.

“Because I love you so very much.”

“It’s rude to stare, you said so”

Sigh.

“So is talking with your mouth full.”

Fair enough.

No more staring for today.

4 Responses to Why Are You Staring?
  1. Jen
    October 2, 2014 | 2:04 pm

2. Sue Barlow
    October 4, 2014 | 1:27 pm

3. Mom
    October 4, 2014 | 3:15 pm

We did say someday you would understand…Love ya.

4. Kir