The Truth About My House

From my brown chair in the corner of the living room I scan the floor, couch, and bench that sits across from the stairs, and wonder where the hell this mess came from. Didn’t I just clean up yesterday?

I see a wayward sock stuck under a chair in the dining room cast off by a 4-year-old who’s feet were too hot and I’m certain that I’ll never find the match again. I can see a cup down the hall sitting outside of a bedroom door and I’m not sure how it got there but there it sits, waiting for its owner to come and drink from it.

Sigh.

I close my eyes wishing the mess away and visualizing the piles of laundry I have downstairs that have been folded but not put away and pray that my daughter hasn’t decided to “sort” them for me.

To my left I can see finger prints on the top of the bookshelf where little fingers have drawn in the dust and I wonder when I’ll remember to clean it, maybe after I go to work all day, make dinner, put the laundry away, clean the bathroom, do the bedtime story, put my daughter to bed, make lunches, and clean up the kitchen.

I put my head back and pretend I have a perfectly clean house with no clutter on the counters, a bedroom without laundry on the floor, and a kitchen without dishes in the sink instead of a Minnie Mouse sitting at my dining room table.

Maybe one day I will be able to afford a housekeeper who will find the match to the cast off sock, who will dust my surfaces, clean my walls and baseboards, and vacuum under my bed.

But right now?

I’m having a break.

3 Responses to The Truth About My House
  1. trish
    November 14, 2014 | 10:52 am

Oh God. I work from home. Have a daughter who naps 3 hrs a day and sleeps 12 hrs at night. A son who goes to school and sleeps 12 hrs at night as well. I have a housekeeper. My house still looks how you describe yours. Don’t be so hard on urself. There will be plenty of years where the only thing u have to do is clean. Enjoy the mess…one day u will miss it. I make a point to say to everyone who comes into this house: ” 2 kids live here..they play here and they eat here. Its a mess. And if that is a problem…clean it up!!” Lmao I attempt to do a “swoop clean” every night when thing 1 and thing 2 are visiting dreamland…but sometimes, rest prevails and tv wins. Tomorrow is a brand spankin new day. I finish my day asking if my kids ate, had fun, feel loved and protected. If the answer is yes..then I had a good day.
    LOVE THIS BLOG

November 14, 2014 | 12:13 pm

I love you for this! Thank you for making me feel more normal!! The mess gets to me and I often feel like it overtakes me. you’re so right, tomorrow is a brand new day and if my child is happy that’s what matters the most!! xoxoxo

2. Nic
    November 14, 2014 | 12:52 pm

My house is always a mess and my children step over the piles of laundry. I don’t care how big those piles get because I will go by them a new outfit before I do the laundry. Lol
    My house is a mess but my kids have my attention and are happy. What is really more important.
    Ps I hate cleaning but you know that. Xoxo

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2014/11/14/truth-about-my-house-2/trackback/

The Truth About My House