Surviving Mental Illness Through Humor

I remember the day I sent in my submission. It was the first time I had ever sent away my words to be scrutinized, read by an editor, and looked at by someone in a professional manner. I was nervous, excited, and felt sick to my stomach.

What if they told me it was terrible?

What if they laughed?

What if this was the end of my writing career and I hadn’t even started yet?

I hit send with the belief that I was putting myself out there in order to change someone’s life. I wanted them to read my words and know that they weren’t alone. I wanted to make a difference.

And then one day, when I was least expecting it, an email came from Alyson Rennick Herzig and Jessica McNeill Azar telling me my words would be included in their book, Surviving Mental Illness Through Humor!

To say I was thrilled would be an understatement.

To be included along with so many other talented writers who have shared their stories?

Incredible!

This book is about bringing people with mental illness, their families, and their friends together and understanding what the struggle is all about. It’s about educating, hearing the stories of those who have been there, and supporting one another.

It’s about “Laughing Stigma into Submission!”

SMITH book front and back

I am honoured to be apart of this book and encourage you to check out their facebook page and web page.

The official launch date of the book is April 7, 2015 and it can be purchased in stores or on Amazon.

Thank you to all of you who encouraged me to put my writing out there. I’m so glad I listened. I couldn’t have done this without you.

SMITH Facebook cover

4 Responses to Surviving Mental Illness Through Humor
  1. Kir
    March 11, 2015 | 9:30 am

I am so proud and thrilled for you.
    CONGRATULATIONS my friend. So brave, so strong, so amazing.

XO

2. Mom
    March 11, 2015 | 2:41 pm

CONGRATULATIONS, my dear! I knew you were hiding a great writer inside… Thanks for letting it out! I’m so impressed that you have the knack to help so many people by sharing your experiences and views on the way you see your world. Love ‘ya.

3. Tamara (@ PenPaperPad)
    March 12, 2015 | 8:21 am

Congratulations! You’re surrounded by a good host of writers in that book.

March 12, 2015 | 10:55 pm

I am so glad that you did this. Your story needs to be heard xoox

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2015/03/11/smith/trackback/

Surviving Mental Illness Through Humor

What if they told me it was terrible?

What if they laughed?

What if this was the end of my writing career and I hadn’t even started yet?

To say I was thrilled would be an understatement.

Incredible!

It’s about “Laughing Stigma into Submission!”

SMITH book front and back

SMITH Facebook cover

4 Responses to Surviving Mental Illness Through Humor
  1. Kir
    March 11, 2015 | 9:30 am

I am so proud and thrilled for you.
    CONGRATULATIONS my friend. So brave, so strong, so amazing.

XO

2. Mom
    March 11, 2015 | 2:41 pm

3. Tamara (@ PenPaperPad)
    March 12, 2015 | 8:21 am

Congratulations! You’re surrounded by a good host of writers in that book.

March 12, 2015 | 10:55 pm