March Break

My heart leapt into my throat as I turned on to our road.

I had left something behind… our daughter, she wasn’t with me and it was a school day! I needed to pick her up!

Didn’t I?

No… no, I reminded myself, she was gone for the week and I didn’t have to go to the school tonight, or in the morning.

I had done this to myself each night while driving to and from work; felt my heart in my throat as I panicked over the thought of leaving my daughter at home or at school. I called out for her at home when it was dinner time, and checked her room regularly because it was too quiet in the house.

But she’s not home.

She’s happily vacationing with her Nannie for March break while I miss her like crazy.

Yes, the break is nice. I don’t have to pick up 50 stuffed animals off of the couch before I sit down, I don’t have to pack a lunch all week, I don’t have to flush the toilet after a little person who refuses to because “it’s too loud.”

There are no bowls and cups left all over the place and the socks and underwear haven’t found their own way onto the bathroom floor.

But there’s part of our family missing.

The squeals from the bedroom while she and her dad do gymnastics before bed, the sounds of a little girl trying to read while she plays teacher with her stuffed animals, the morning rush that keeps us on our toes and is matched by our singing voices as we march out the door.

Her body beside mine while she watches her show before bed, her hand in my hair, little snippets of her day coming out as she remembers.

The sounds of her whispers as she tries to fall asleep in her tent.

She’s creating memories, having adventures, seeing Frozen on Ice, and loving every minute of her time with her Nannie and Grampy. This is good.

But I can’t wait to wrap her in my arms, squeeze her tight, and tell her how happy I am to have her back.

5 Responses to March Break
  1. Lyla Jackson
    March 20, 2015 | 2:53 pm

My kids had a double sleepover at grandma’s the two days while my husband’s been away. I feel that same quiet emptiness. It’s nice that the house stays neat but it’s a dead sort of space without their love bouncing around the room.
    I hear ya.

March 23, 2015 | 8:20 am

It is so quiet. I’m not used to the silence. It’s nice to hear her talking and singing.

2. Jordan
    March 23, 2015 | 7:45 am

Did Brian go away too? No socks and underwear on the bathroom floor? I don’t believe it;) Ha:) Loved the post. I do the same when Layla is gone even for a night. Its strange when there is so much quiet. How will we survive when they are grown?! :-O

March 23, 2015 | 8:20 am

I don’t know how I’m going to survive… we will move in together.

March 25, 2015 | 9:41 am

And now she’s back and acting like a wild monkey demanding three and a half ice cubes in her apple juice.
    Oh kids 🙂

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2015/03/20/march-break/trackback/

March Break

My heart leapt into my throat as I turned on to our road.

Didn’t I?

But she’s not home.

But there’s part of our family missing.

The sounds of her whispers as she tries to fall asleep in her tent.

5 Responses to March Break
  1. Lyla Jackson
    March 20, 2015 | 2:53 pm

I hear ya.

March 23, 2015 | 8:20 am

2. Jordan
    March 23, 2015 | 7:45 am

March 23, 2015 | 8:20 am

I don’t know how I’m going to survive… we will move in together.

March 25, 2015 | 9:41 am