Write for Your Biggest Fan

The piece had done relatively well on my site and I was proud of stepping outside of my usual poetic type of writing.

So I clicked over to the one site* I had idolized for so long, the place I wanted to see one of my posts, and hit submit.

I checked my mail hourly and held my breath for the email that would tell me whether or not millions of people would see my work.

Then.

There it was.

The email I had been waiting for.

I debated whether I should even open it. Should I wait and make this a moment? What if they didn’t like it? What if it wasn’t what they were looking for?

No, it was a good piece.

I clicked the email.

I had been rejected.

My heart fell and I felt like all the work I had been putting out was for nothing.

I swore I wasn’t going to submit there again because my writing style obviously wasn’t their taste.

But then I spoke to a friend who reminded me to think about why I write. I thought about it and I remembered that the recognition is nice but I write for me. My writing is how I express myself, advocate, and connect and I don’t need validation.

It’s nice to hear that someone liked what you wrote or that you’re being published but it isn’t everything.

And I needed that reminder.

I’m not going to stop submitting and will take the rejections with a grain of salt from now on because they aren’t a reflection of who I am.

Remember your love of writing and write for your biggest fan.

Write for you.

*we all have that ONE place we want to see our writing and I didn’t think it would be fair to name the place I want to see mine. Bashing isn’t the name of the game here.

3 Responses to Write for Your Biggest Fan
  1. Amanda
    April 2, 2015 | 10:59 am

Thanks for being brave enough to share your story. We have all been rejected in some way during our lives/careers/etc. and the great thing is, I doesn’t stop any of us.

2. Carrie Baughcum
    April 3, 2015 | 8:55 am

I think our is classy of you not to list the name and the name doesn’t really matter does it. This journey isn’t really about what the site was. It’s about you and putting yourself out there big! It’s so hard to experience that but I am so very happy that you were able to step back and reflect. This space is full of so much emotion and bravery. I think people often think this blogging stuff is “easy” but to put your thoughts feelings and stories out there for others to read takes incredible bravery and risk taking each time. Don’t stop putting yourself out there. Often that rejection is the path to something greater waiting for you! XOXOXO

April 16, 2015 | 10:23 am

All of what Carrie said and…AND…instead of striving to put your work on someone else’s site, showcase that shizz in between two covers. On the front it’ll say by Leighann.

Trackback URL http://www.multitaskingmumma.com/2015/04/02/write-for-your-biggest-fan/trackback/

Write for Your Biggest Fan

Then.

There it was.

The email I had been waiting for.

No, it was a good piece.

I clicked the email.

I had been rejected.

And I needed that reminder.

Remember your love of writing and write for your biggest fan.

Write for you.